Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Sean's Little Adventure at Outback Steakhouse

Tonight we went with our friends John and Christy (and little Max) to Outback Steakhouse in celebration of their new house (Thank you! It was delish!).

I was holding Sean on my lap, playing with him, when an Asian lady from the table across from us came up. In broken English, she told me that she didn't have any food right then so she could hold him for me (the funny thing is, we didn't have any food yet either). I laughed, thinking she was joking. (I get tons of people always saying things like that - babies do that to people!)

Before I was finished laughing, she took Sean from my arms and took him back to her table. I was in shock! And so was Jeff and our friends. I was so surprised that she actually took him! Jeff went over immediately and tried to get him back. He had to explain that Sean was still sick before she let him go. (And only then after her teenage daughter translated for her - that girl was soo embarrassed for her mom.) The rest of dinner until she left was so awkward.

After she left, a nearby family asked Jeff if we knew them. He said that we had no idea who she was, and that he thought it was kind of freaky. They said that they, and all of the other families around thought that they were watching some kind of TV show - everyone stopped what they were doing to watch. They said they could tell that Jeff was not too happy about what happened!

On the up side, Sean didn't even cry with her - maybe he was in much of a shock as I was! I remember saying over and over again "She just took my baby! I cannot believe she just took my baby!" while Jeff was retrieving him. It all happened in seconds but made the rest of the night so awkward until they left!

What a night! It was still super fun and, again, super yummy. (Thank you, John and Christy! We owe you!)

4 comments:

Fenton Clan said...

That is so funny/scarry!!!

The Slaters said...

Wow that is crazy. Can't say I have ever had something like that happen before. Weird!

Renetta said...

My gosh, I didn't even like reading it, let alone thinking about you guys going throught that kind of experience. You can only imagine how truly scary it would be to have someone actualy taking your baby and running. It's really so strange. as that. When Nicole was a baby there was a lady in the adoption class who fell in love with her and always wanted to hold her. We noticed she would drive by the house real slow. Before the adoption was final, she tried to stop it and get Nicole because her husband was Hispanic. It was scary. For years she would drive by the house so we sort of told Nicole about her. A few years ago Rich for some reason worked with her at one of the Schools and she knew all about him and that he was Nicole's "new dad." Last year Nicole ran into her and the gal asked if she was Nicole. Nicole recognised her.... To this day, I think if she could have she would have ran with Nicole. It is such a scary feeling...I am glad your instinct was to get up and get Sean back....

Kari said...

Whoa that is crazy! I wonder if it is the same lady I ran into at the park? She was walking her dog and came up to Benny and asked him if he wanted to "Go with Grandma" and kept holding out her hand for him to go with her. She did say she had had the cops called on her one time though as someone literally thought she was trying to kidnap their child. Some people can be so forward, sheesh!
But I guess that motherly instinct for babies can be super duper strong